This policy and procedure is in compliance with National Code Standard 5 and is subject to change at any time.
ASC International is responsible for managing the expectations of the Student, Host and other related parties with respect to maximising the opportunity for a successful homestay placement. It is important that all parties are clear on the relevant refund and associated policies regarding these processes.
Homestay fees are generally made up of three types of payments:
- Homestay Placement Fee
This fee is paid to ASC International to confirm that a placement is required. It covers the cost of host recruitment, training. Assessment, home inspections and the work associated with the matching and placement process. The fee is generally paid in conjunction with a minimum period of weekly fees.
On receipt of the initial payment, ASC International will review the student’s profile and preferences and commence the work required to find a well-matched and appropriately screened Host for the student.
A new Homestay Placement Fee will be charged each time a student chooses to move to a new homestay. If a student moves to a new homestay at ASCI’s request then a Homestay Placement Fee will not be charged.
The Placement Fee is not refundable once payment has been received*. *Placement Fee is refundable if the student’s visa is denied and we receive the visa refusal notification.
- Homestay Weekly Fees
The weekly fees are paid to ASC International to cover the payment to the Student’s Host, support services and monitoring of the homestay placement.
- Homestay Welfare & Support Fees (PN only)
This fee is for Parent Nominated Hosts only and does not apply to our Standard Hosts. This is a yearly fee that is billed every January or if the student is a new arrival it will be billed pro-rata per term.
- If the Student cancels their placement and provides more than two weeks written notice prior to arrival, their weekly fees will be refunded in full. The Placement Fee is not refundable.
- If the Student cancels their placement and provide less than 10 days written notice prior to arrival, they will forfeit payment for two weeks plus the Placement Fee. Any additional weekly fees paid will be refunded.
- ASC International will provide a full refund (upon receipt of the Australian High Commission / DoHA Visa Refusal Notification) for a cancelled placement if a Student’s visa is denied and they have provided a minimum of three business days notice. If the required notice has not been provided the ASC International, will retain the Placement Fee and two weeks payment of their weekly fees. Any remaining funds will be refunded.
Pre-arrival changes or delays:
- If a Student is unable to arrive by their intended start date due to a visa delay or course change, the Student may defer their placement until visa approval is granted, or the course is rescheduled.
- There will be no charge for this change if ASC International is advised in writing of any changes at least five business days prior to arrival. All fees will be transferred to the new placement.
- The Student may be required to pay another Placement Fee for a new placement, and up to two weeks of homestay weekly fees, if ASC International is not advised in writing of these changes at least five business days prior to arrival.
- ASC International require a minimum of five days notice once a Student’s visa has been approved to ensure a Host can be arranged for the new arrival date.
- If a homestay placement has been confirmed and a Student is unable to arrive by their intended start date, ASC International cannot guarantee the same Host will be able to accommodate the Student for their new dates. A new placement may be arranged once the Student’s visa is approved and new arrival details are confirmed.
- All other changes or delays will be subject to the same notice periods and penalties as detailed in the Pre-arrival Cancellations section. The Student will forfeit the Placement Fee and up to two weeks of homestay fees if adequate notice is not given.
Post-arrival Changes and Cancellations:
- Once a homestay placement has commenced the Placement Fee is not refundable.
- If a Student is unhappy with their chosen Host family, they should contact ASC International to discuss. ASC International will liaise with the Student and Host to try to rectify any concerns and assist through the ‘settling in’ period.
- The Student is required to provide ASC International and their homestay Host with a minimum of two weeks written notice if they intend to move out of homestay. This notice period cannot commence during the first two weeks in homestay.
- If a Student gives less than two weeks notice of their intention to move out, they will still be required to pay weekly fees for two weeks following the date on which they have given notice.
- If the Student wishes to change Host families after the first four weeks, and there are not adequate grounds for the change, the Student may be charged another Placement Fee for ASC International to find a new homestay. This applies to each new placement a Student applies for.
- The Student will still be required to provide the minimum of two week’ notice to ASC International and the original Host before moving to another homestay.
- There will be no refund if the Student chooses to leave without serving out the required notice period.
- If ASC International is required to transfer a Student’s homestay placement more than three times and there has been no ASC International policy breach by the Host/s, ASC International will progress to investigating its ability to cancel welfare responsibilities for the student.
- Transport to a new ASC International homestay will be coordinated by ASC International. Students are responsible for paying any transport costs.
- If the Host requests to cancel a homestay placement and there has been no ASC International policy breach by the Student, the Host must give two weeks notice so ASC International can arrange a new homestay placement for the Student. If the Host requires the Student to move immediately, ASC International will make every effort to find another available Host and the homestay placement will be transferred as soon as possible.
- If the Host requests to cancel a homestay placement due to the Student breaching ASC International policy or not complying with the Host’s house rules, the Student will be required to move. If, after ASC International counselling, the Student can be placed with a new Host family, the Student may be charged an additional Placement Fee prior to a new placement being confirmed.
- If a homestay placement needs to be cancelled due to an ASC International policy breach by the Host, the Student will receive a refund or credit for the unused weekly fees. ASC International will make every effort to arrange placement with a new Host family if the Student requests it.
- If a Host or Student terminates the agreement unexpectedly and the student leaves the home immediately then additional fees may apply to both parties however this will be considered on a case by case basis.
Notification of Cancellations and Changes for a Homestay Placement - General
- The party requesting to cancel or change a homestay placement (i.e. the Student or the Host) must notify ASC International in writing, via a Request to Vary Welfare Arrangement form, to formally lodge their request.
- The Student must provide ASC International with a minimum of two weeks written notice if they wish to change their package.
- ASC International will be responsible for contacting the other party to advise them of the request to cancel or change the homestay placement.
- Once the cancellation or change has been approved, ASC International will notify both parties to confirm the details of any reimbursements, refunds and transfer information as applicable.
Notification of Cancellations and Changes for a Homestay Placement – Room Holding
Students returning home for holiday periods will be required to inform ASC International two weeks prior to departure and a percentage of the usual fees will be charged for the duration they are away from their homestay.
Airport Pickup Refund Policy
- All students in an ASC International homestay arrangement must book an ASC International Airport pick-up when they arrive in the country to commence studies for the first time, unless approval is provided by ASC International for alternative arrangements.
- The Student is required to contact ASC International as soon as they are aware of delays to their scheduled flight and/or their arrival information.
- The transport company tracks flights online: if they are made aware of a flight delay at least an hour before the original flight landing time, they will wait another two hours (or until the delayed plane lands at the airport.)
- If airport pickup has been booked and the Student misses their flight or fails to provide updated arrival information, then there will be no refund for the unused transportation. After business hours* this notice must be provided via phone and email.
- There will be no charge for changes if notice is given at least an hour before the original flight landing time. After hours this notice must be provided via phone and not email.
- The Student will need to pay for a new booking if pick up is required at another time.
- The instructions for meeting the driver at the airport will be detailed on the Student’s arrival report. If the Student has not met the driver at the designated location within the expected time frame, the driver will leave the airport and the cost of the pre-paid APU will be non-refundable. The Student will be required to pay again if the driver needs to return to the airport to pick them up.
- A full refund will be provided if a Student cancels their airport pickup two business days or more prior to arrival.
- There will be no refund for the service if a Student cancels their airport pickup two business days or less prior to arrival.
- If the Student finds an alternate way to the homestay and the minimum notice period is not given, there will be no refund.
- Note: *Business hours are between 9.00am and 5.00pm, Monday to Friday.
SHORT TERM STUDY TOURS
Study Tours are generally paid in full prior to arrival and are arranged through a tour organiser for a set duration. Students can therefore not give notice to move out of homestay and a refund of homestay fees will not be permitted once the placement has commenced (normal pre-arrival policies around refunds will apply). Any changes should be requested through the tour organiser.
All approved refunds will be deposited into the nominated bank account. No cash refunds will be processed. If no Australian bank account is available we will refund via telegraphic transfer, an AU$30.00 service charge will be deducted from refund total. If the original payment was made by credit card we can refund back to the same card, a 3% service charge will be deducted from the refund total.
Refunds will be processed within two weeks after the Student has left homestay and appropriate bank details have been received. ASC International pays Hosts fortnightly (every two weeks). If a Student has paid Fees in advance, only the portion of those Fees not paid to the Host is eligible for refund. ASCI cannot refund a Student or backdate claims against their Fees if ASC International has already paid the Host.
ASCI Homestay Coordinator
Mobile: 0488 111 090
24/7 Emergency Support Centre: 1300 697 829